Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Writing and Sailing - waiting for the perfect conditions

I was pondering earlier this morning and came to the conclusion that writing and sailing don’t have a lot in common. And how, I hear you ask, can you explain such a strange, but obvious, statement?

Well, I’ve always been one to wait for conditions to be just right before I put pen to paper. Actually, these days it’s much more likely to be tapping away at the keyboard! But the fact remains, I find it hard to get into the mood, get everything just so, so that I can write.

With sailing, you can certainly wait for the perfect conditions before you set out. But you won’t be able to go sailing nearly as often as you could, because you would always be waiting for perfection.

And if you’re sailing any sort of distance, even if you did set out in perfect conditions, one or more changes would come through and you, your crew and boat would have to handle them.

And, of course, Jessica Watson certainly wouldn't have been able to complete her circumnavigation is she'd only been able to sail in perfect conditions.

So, having been inspired to write this post after reading just the first three paragraphs of Chris Brogan’s How to Write Three Posts a Day, I think I’m doing quite well!

No comments: